Local education leaders submit Declarations of Curricular and Instructional Alignment to the Arizona Academic Standards for language arts (reading and writing), mathematics, science, and social studies (collectively, the "Standards") to the Arizona Department of Education that affirm the following:
Governing Boards declared they:
- adopted a curriculum that is aligned with the Standards, and
- adopted an evaluation system that assesses whether teachers are integrating the Standards into their instructional practices.
Superintendents declared these policies would be implemented by:
- providing instructional materials aligned to the Standards,
- providing (or arranging for others to provide) opportunities for teachers and principals to receive training related to the Standards,
- administering the district's system of teacher evaluation to confirm that teachers are integrating the Standards into their instructional practices, and
- for non-unified school districts: collaborating on a curriculum alignment agreement between all corresponding feeder and receiving districts.
Principals declared that teachers under their supervision:
- were provided access to the Standards and the curriculum,
- received instructional materials aligned to the Standards,
- received training related to the Standards, unless those teachers were excused for appropriate reasons, and
- were evaluated as to whether they integrated the Standards into their instructional practices to the extent the Standards apply to their teaching area(s).
To determine if local education leaders have affirmed that the central components of standards-based education are in effect at your local school, please contact us at:
Standards and Assessment Division
Arizona Department of Education
1535 West Jefferson, Bin 5
Phoenix, AZ 85007
Tel: (602) 364-2335
Fax: (602) 364-0902